The Bloom Award
In 2009, Blooming Tree Press began selecting new, undiscovered writing talents and rewarding them with publishing contracts. Named The Bloom Award, the prize strives to celebrate the life of Mildred Bloom, Matriarch of Blooming Tree Press.
Mildred Bloom passed away in 2007 at the amazing age of 88, but in those previous 88 years she touch thousands of peoples lives with her generosity, hard work, faith and her never-ending belief that hopes and dreams will always prevail.
The first winner of the Bloom Award was Laurie Wallmark for her manuscript Sisterly Mystery. Her book is scheduled to be published in April of 2011. Congratulations to Laurie.
Award Rules & Requirements
This award is for unpublished authors only. Each year's award will consist of a different genre, age group and imprint. This award WILL result in the offer of a publishing contract for one lucky winner.
The second Bloom Award will only be open to the following type of manuscript:
- Age Group: Young Adult
- Genre: Light Romance Fiction (However, sex is not appropriate for books at our press. The romance should be along the lines of the stuff found in Life in the Pit.)
- Imprint: "Tire Swing" (our children's paperback imprint)
The following will be required as part of your package that you submit:
- A Book Proposal
- A Detailed Synopsis
- A Detailed Outline
- An Author Biography (include email address)
- The First 3 Chapters
- Our definition of an unpublished author consists of no previous full length published book in the children's or Young Adult market. Published short stories, poems, magazine articles, or adult books don't count.
- Only one entry per person will be allowed.
- If you make the first cut you will have to be able to produce the completed manuscript immediately. So don't enter if you don't have a completed or near completed manuscript.
- Manuscript length should be no less than 40,000 words but no more than 65,000 words.
- If you are the winner you must be willing to promote and market your book to the best of your ability.
Submission Dates and Mailing Information
Postmarks are as follows:
Submissions begins: May 17, 2010
Submissions Deadline is: October 31, 2010
Please make sure your submission is not postmarked before May 17th or after October 31st.
Please mark clearly on the outside of the package “The Bloom Award”.
Note: All submissions will be read but no material will be returned. All communication will be via email and phone.
Blooming Tree Press
P.O. Box 140934
Austin, Texas 78714
The Winner will be announced no later than December 25th 2010. The winning book will be released each year on Mildred Bloom’s birthday – April 25th. (Book release to be April 25th 2012)
For any questions or concerns, please submit those via The Publisher’s Life Blog.